TERMS OF REFERENCE – Program Manager – Right to Information (RTI)
Transparency International Sri Lanka (TISL) is a National Chapter of Transparency International (TI), the leading global movement against corruption. TISL raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it. TISL also works on a range of governance issues, including critiquing and refining the landmark Right to Information Act. TI has a Secretariat in Berlin, Germany, and more than 100 Chapters worldwide.
The passing of the Right to Information (RTI) Act in 2016 marked a significant step toward strengthening transparency and the fight against corruption in Sri Lanka. Transparency International Sri Lanka (TISL) has been advocating for the adoption of right to information since the organisation’s inception, and with the passage of the Act, will continue to push for best practices in terms of implementation of RTI in the coming years.
TISL is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to oversee all program implementation related to the Right to Information as the Program Manager – RTI. The Program Manager will be responsible towards driving the RTI related work in the organization which includes creating awareness, facilitating RTI requests among the public and contributing to the jurisprudence of RTI in Sri Lanka.
Scope of Work
• Oversee and support all RTI related programs in TISL.
• Be responsible for the implementation of the RTI based project titled “Stronger media through enhanced Freedom of Expression and Right to Information” supported by the European Union.
• Establish a RTI knowledge hub within TISL.
• Work towards the mainstreaming of RTI as a cross-cutting tool within TISL.
• Design, establish and oversee the operations of RTI hubs in all 25 districts
• Liaise with relevant State institutions regarding the implementation of the RTI Act, with emphasis on proactive disclosure
• Develop advocacy strategies to promote the right to information at a national level and preserve the integrity and the spirit of full disclosure
• Mobilize and work with key stakeholders in disseminating RTI knowledge
• Design and implement campaigns at the national and the local level to raise public awareness on RTI
• Manage the RTIwatch.lk trilingual web portal
• Liaise with civil society organizations and community representatives to promote the use of RTI
• Oversee the facilitation of client RTI requests
• Liaise with the RTI Commission and Ministry of Mass Media where necessary
• Work towards the achievement of organization-wide objectives and results related to RTI
A suitable candidate would ideally have:
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant field including social sciences, law or human rights
• 3 years of relevant work experience, including supervising a team
• Demonstrable knowledge of how RTI can be utilized and its corresponding challenges, with a strong understanding of governance-related issues
• Knowledge and experience on project management and strategic direction
• Comprehensive knowledge of the theories and concepts of right to information from other jurisdictions will be an added advantage
• A vision for developing a vibrant RTI jurisprudence
• Networking skills with civil society and government counterparts
• Excellent written and oral English communication skills, with fluency in one of the local languages (Sinhala / Tamil)
• Computer literacy including familiarity with Microsoft Excel
• Commitment to inclusivity and diversity
• A good understanding of MEL processes
• Committed to the values of Integrity and Anti-Corruption
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Program Manager – RTI” in the subject line.
Closing date – Sunday, 29th November, 2020
Commencement of Duties – Immediate
The selected candidate will be awarded an initial one-year contract, subject to renewal based on performance and funding availability.