Terms of Reference
TERMS OF REFERENCE – CALLING FOR PROPOSALS TO CONDUCT RESEARCH FOR THE 2021 TRANSPARENCY IN CORPORATE REPORTING (TRAC) ASSESSMENT
Transparency International Sri Lanka (TISL) is the National Chapter of Transparency International (TI), the leading global movement against corruption committed to promoting good governance and eradicating corruption in Sri Lanka. As a local organisation, TISL raises awareness on the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
In 2020, TISL launched the Transparency in Corporate Reporting (TRAC) report for the first time in Sri Lanka. A research was conducted involving the top 50 public listed companies in Sri Lanka (based on market capitalisation) to assess each company’s reporting practices through publicly available information in three areas that are crucial to fighting corruption: their anti-corruption mitigation procedures, transparency in reporting on their organisational structures and the key financial data disclosed on their domestic operations. The purpose of conducting the research is to encourage companies to be more transparent in their corporate reporting by proactively disclosing information and to make such information publicly available. The report can be accessed via www.tisrilanka.org/TRAC.
TISL intends to continue this assessment on an annual basis and is seeking a dynamic and competent Researcher to conduct the TRAC assessment for the year 2021 and compile the final report based on its findings within a two-month period. The research and subsequent publication of the report would be conducted under the guidance of TISL.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The following deliverables are expected from the Researcher:
• Utilise the methodology and questionnaire developed by Transparency International to score the selected companies.
• Conduct a thorough desk review of existing information.
• Utilise the formats and tools provided by TISL to collect and collate data.
• Share the initial findings with the assessed companies to obtain feedback.
• Incorporate the feedback and re-evaluate scoring if required.
• After the final scores are assigned, share the findings with TISL.
• Draft the narrative for the report including recommendations.
• On approval of the draft, finalize the narrative for the report using the data and information that has been gathered. TISL will provide input where necessary and will provide the final approval before proceeding towards publication.
• Keep the TISL focal point informed about progress and any challenges encountered by way of progress reports and weekly calls as required.
The Researcher is expected to complete the report within a two-month period. The report should be finalized by the end of August 2021.
The proposed budget for this study is a maximum of LKR 400,000.00. A competitive proposal will be selected on a value for money basis.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD HAVE:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Humanities or any other related discipline.
• A working knowledge of how companies are organized and operate.
• Familiarity with transparency, accountability and anti-corruption discourse.
• Prior research experience in critically analysing quantitative data and report writing.
• Experience in working with/applying quantitative indicators and rating methodologies.
• Professionalism and adherence to timelines.
• Ability to write succinctly and for a non-academic audience.
• Proven capacity to ensure objectivity and neutrality in analysis, scoring and report writing free from bias, influence and/or conflict of interest.
• Ability to conduct research under minimum supervision to obtain the relevant information.
• Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
Applicants should submit a proposal with a budget breakdown along with their CVs by 20th June 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. ‘Researcher – Transparency in Corporate Reporting (TRAC) Assessment’ should be mentioned in the subject line of your email application. Commencement of Duties – Immediate.