Transparency International Sri Lanka (TISL) is a National Chapter of Transparency International (TI), the leading global movement against corruption. TISL raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it. TISL also works on a range of governance issues, most recently on critiquing and refining the landmark Right to Information Act. TI has an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, and more than 90 Chapters worldwide.
The passing of the Right to Information (RTI) Act in August this year marks a significant step toward strengthening transparency and the fight against corruption in Sri Lanka. Transparency International Sri Lanka (TISL) has been advocating for the adoption of right to information since the organisation’s inception, and with the passage of the Act, will continue to push for best practices in terms of implementation of RTI in the coming months.
In order for the RTI to have a positive impact on governance practices in Sri Lanka, a key area that needs to be addressed is the lack of public awareness in terms of what RTI is, and how it can be used to the benefit of the individual and the public both at the national and local levels. To this end TISL has initiated a program titled Establishing awareness and ownership of RTI among the public in 5 districts of Sri Lanka.
TISL is seeking a suitable candidate to support the above mentioned program as a RTI Legal Officer based in Matara overseeing the field work in the district.
Scope of Work
• Organize and conduct RTI related programs in the district.
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with local level public officials and CSO/CBO representatives.
• Mobilize citizens to utilize RTI.
• Provide technical support to regional RTI hubs.
• Assist citizens in compiling and submitting RTI requests as well as the appeal process.
• Design RTI related material.
• Work with key RTI stakeholders in disseminating RTI knowledge.
• Liaise with relevant State and public officials regarding the implementation of the RTI Act.
• Work towards the achievement of project objectives and results.
A suitable candidate would ideally have:
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant field including social sciences, law or human rights.
• 3 years of work experience as a Project Coordinator or in a similar positions in the civil society sector.
• Presence and networks in the relevant district will be considered as an added advantage.
• General understanding of RTI related concepts.
• Ability to compile field reports.
• Networking skills with civil society and government counterparts.
• Experience in dealing with public issues and grievances with a civic minded attitude.
• Fluency in local languages with the ability to communicate in English.
• Must be computer literate.
• Committed to the values of Transparency International Sri Lanka.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com
Commencement of Duties – Immediate
Note: Please state in the subject line of the email the following – “RTI Legal Officer – Matara”
Those who applied to our previous vacancy, need not re-apply.